Re: Odd status changes on bug 804662

On 04/04/2012 11:15 AM, Brian Murray wrote:
On Wed, Apr 04, 2012 at 01:28:23AM +0100, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
I was asked by Logan_ on #ubuntu-bugs to remove the assignee and
change the status back :

(01:13:13) Logan_: Can somebody change the status of https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/jockey/+bug/804662 to "Confirmed" (and remove the assigned person)?
(01:13:14) ubot2: Launchpad bug 804662 in jockey "jockey-gtk crashed with TypeError in _execute_child(): execv() arg 2 must contain only strings" [Undecided,Fix released]
(01:13:46) Logan_: It was incorrectly marked as Fix Released by a newbie, and someone assigned it to himself randomly, and I can't change the values back.

On investigation it looks a bit odd; there have been lots of status
changes in a short time, all by users who've existed for only
a few days/weeks, all with 0 karma, and membership of no groups.

I can't quite see why - it feels spammy but maybe there is a sane
explanation.
I believe this happens because Launchpad does not do a good job of
explaining what bug terms (status, assignee, importance) mean.  Then
when you have a bug with lots of duplicates or users affected those
people are trying to help but don't know how Launchpad works.  This
results in strange changes to statuses and assignees.  I don't believe
there was an malicious intent.

--
Brian Murray
Ubuntu Bug Master

I looked at this last night and the odd variety of users who assigned this to themselves made me think it was not spam, but people not knowing what to do. Also once a new user sees that the last guy assigned it to himself, he figures that he'd better do it too, and it propagates.