Re: I would like to put myself forward for membership to bugcontrol

On 05/18/2012 09:40 AM, Dave Morley wrote:

On 18/05/12 15:53, Daniel Manrique wrote:
On 12-05-10 10:55 AM, Dave Morley wrote:
Hi, I'm Dave Morley (davmor2) and I've been part of the bugsquad
for a long while now. I was fairly active early on till apport
bugs started coming in and I had no idea on how to read them. I
move over to iso testing at that point.  I've done a lot of work
with developers triaging bugs I've come across, confirming issues
and writing out steps to reproduce to help the devs out and
obtaining more info for them.
I now work for canonical and am working for the Consumer
Applications team, this work involves everything to do with
Software Center. Because of this work I need to gain additional
triage rights to help the developers with the ubuntu based
Software Center Bugs.
- Do you promise to be polite to bug reporters even if they are
rude to you or Ubuntu? Have you signed the Ubuntu Code of
Conduct?
Yes I will continue being polite to any reporters and I've signed
the CoC since the beginning.

- Have you read Bugs/HowToTriage, Bugs/Assignment, Bugs/Status
and Bugs/Importance? Do you have any questions about that
documentation?
I have read the pages that still exist there are a few links that
may need updating to point at the more up to date links.
Example DebuggingProcedures

- What sensitive data should you look for in a private Apport
crash report bug before making it public?
Any Passwords, Account details of any sort, Login details, keys
of any sort, server names.  If there is no retrace attached or
there is a coredump.gz attached

- Is there a particular package or group of packages that you are
  interested in helping out with?
software-center, aptdaemon, update-manager but primarily just
software-center
- Bug list:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-webcatalog/+bug/987851
This example bug was confirmed by the maintainer but was triaged,
reported and importance set by myself following guidlines that
our team had laid out.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ldtp/+bug/979183
A bug report that was sent upstream when I discovered the lead
dev preferred them there rather than on launchpad.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/967085
Understanding how the system was meant to work meant I could
track down this issue report it to the correct team and see it
confirmed in a very short period of time.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ldtp/+bug/979229
Another Bug sent to upstream
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/software-center/+bug/969266
  One assigned to me that I am currently working on but can't
reliably interact with other than comments currently.  So you can
see the issue I face.
Sorry for the lack of bugs I mostly triage bugs that are for
private teams now. So I've had a struggle finding some that I
could display.
I'm hoping that these should be enough to warrant that I can work
with upstreams, set bug tags correctly that are relevant to our
team, set importance to the correct level by the merits of our
team, and can work with our own developers to confirm and triage
bugs.
Hi Dave,

Thanks for applying for Bug Control!

I notice a lot of the bug reports you sent have no importance, and
you didn't discuss anything on the importance you would have set
for them. This is relevant as one of the main things Bug Control
folks do is set importance for bugs, and evaluating your criteria
and judgement for this is perhaps the main point of the application
process.

Could you, then, for these bug reports, comment a bit on the
importance you set / would have set for them?

Also remember that you can ask for bug importances to be set, Bug
Control members are there to help with this too.

Thanks again!

- Daniel
Hi Daniel,

So for us in the Consumer Applications server team (where I have
triage, stat changing status currently) we have a slightly different
way of using the importance tool that we might look to port over to
Software-center also.  So that the whole team is off the same page
when it comes to the importance of a bug. Due to this on going talk
there is no definite decisions as to the right way of using this
feature currently.

As for the bugs listed in my examples then I would mark the importance
as follows:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/software-center/+bug/969266
Critical till the initial purchase issue was resolved then lower the
bug standing to medium for any ongoing work.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ldtp/+bug/979229 this is a medium bug for
me in that I can work around the issue but it's not ideal.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/967085 I would
set to medium it's not something that is a game stopper but should be
dealt with and isn't noticeably affecting a lot of users.  I would
escalate this to high if more people confirm this though.

I'd say this is low since it's just a cosmetic issue. (I also updated it with my attempt at a repro)

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ldtp/+bug/979183 should be
set to fix-released and medium, again I am the only person really
affected by this but it was preventing me doing my job effectively.

Thanks for sending this upstream. I think your bug title upstream makes a lot more sense than the one here.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-webcatalog/+bug/987851 I already set
this to low which in our server talk means that this is annoying but
works just not as expected and should be worked on in time for the
12.10 release or earlier if possible.

The bug listed are mostly written by myself as they are the bugs that
I interact with the most.  The move to include USC with the work I do
on USC server is the only reason that I am applying for membership and
so if we (Consumer Applications) as a team settle on using one
methodology for marking importance then it will suddenly become more
import for me to be able to triage payment issues that might be report
against USC in a more timely manner, it would also mean that as the
guy in charge of QA for the CA team I would be able to spend one day a
week sitting and triaging the USC bugs in a format that everyone on
our team is familiar with.

I hope this helps but feel free to ask anything else.

Dave,

All the bugs you showed here were ones that you filed. I think that a large part of triage is taking a bug from someone else and working with that bug until it's ready for the developer to work on. Another part is improving existing reports with tags, more info, versions, repro info, etc. Do you have any examples of those?