Re: Reverse mainline kernel commit bisect inquiry

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 05:38:18PM -0600, Christopher M. Penalver wrote:
> Seth:
>
> Thank you for the suggestion. However, I tested reverse mainline
> kernel commit bisecting and got the following:
> cd ~/Desktop && git clone
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git
> linux-stable && cd linux-stable && git bisect start && git bisect good
> 8b827c60a1d984ef8c3ed175c99a33dd451348ff && git bisect bad
> 74ddcdb868a84f4a9f65e33c1ca0d24e1134e53a
> Some good revs are not ancestor of the bad rev.
> git bisect cannot work properly in this case.
> Maybe you mistake good and bad revs?

Let me check my assumption first. By "reverse bisect" I assume you mean
bisecting to find the commit which fixes a bug rather than the commit
which introduces it. Is this correct?

Under that assumption, in your example 8b827c would not have the bug
(i.e. it's the "good" commit, so you should mark it bad) and 74ddcd
would have the bug (i.e. it's the "bad" commit, so you should mark it
good). So your invocation ought to be:

 $ git bisect 8b827c 74ddcd

(alternate version of what you did, git bisect start <bad> [<good>]).

Make sense?

Seth