Re: Inquiry in changing stock response "Fixed in Development release while still existing in a previous release"

On Sat, 17 Aug 2013 11:25:38 -0500
"Christopher M. Penalver" <christopher.m.penalver@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dear Ubuntu Bug Control:
>
> Hello. I am e-mailing regarding changing the wording for:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Responses#Fixed_in_Development_release_while_still_existing_in_a_previous_release
>
> from the current:
> --START--
> Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make
> Ubuntu better. However, I am closing it because the bug has been fixed
> in the latest development version of Ubuntu - Saucy Salamander.
>
> This is a significant bug in Ubuntu. If you need a fix for the bug in
> previous versions of Ubuntu, please do steps 1 and 2 of the SRU
> Procedure [1] to bring the need to a developer's attention.
>
> [1]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates#Procedure
> --END--
>
> to:
> --START--
> Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make
> Ubuntu better. However, I am closing it because the bug has been fixed
> in the latest development version of Ubuntu - Saucy Salamander.
>
> This is a significant bug in Ubuntu. If you need a fix for the bug in
> previous versions of Ubuntu, please perform the SRU Procedure [1] to
> bring the need to a developer's attention.
>
> [1]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates#Procedure
> --END--
>
> This is how there are more than 2 steps in the SRU procedure, that
> typically original reporters could accomplish, speeding up SRU
> eligible bug fixes landing. For the motivation for this workflow
> change (not the only one) please see
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1093795 .
>
> Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.

I would change it still a bit more. First of all, why would any bug be
a "significant bug in Ubuntu" *by default*?

Secondly, steps (1) and (2) should not be difficult for anyone
interested. But steps 3 and 5, at least, are not that easy. And the
new text seems to imply that "either all is done, or do not even
bother to ask".

Proposed second paragraph:

"If you need a fix for the bug in previous versions of Ubuntu, please
read the SRU Procedure [1] and perform at least the first two steps
to bring the need to a developer's attention."

Cheers,

..C..
--
ab alio expectes alteri quod feceris