Application for Bug Control

Dear Ubuntu Bug Control:

Hello. I'm contacting you to re-apply for Ubuntu Bug Control, after
been on hiatus from the team for the better part of a year.

In answer to the standard requirement questions:
Do you promise to be polite to bug reporters even if they are rude to
you or Ubuntu?
Yes.

Have you signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct?
Yes.

Have you read Bugs/HowToTriage, Bugs/Assignment, Bugs/Status and
Bugs/Importance?
Yes.

Do you have any questions about that documentation?
No.

What sensitive data should you look for in a private Apport crash
report bug before making it public? See Bugs/HowToTriage for more
information.
One with a username, password, credit card number, or other sensitive
data in a CoreDump.gz, Stacktrace.txt, or a ThreadStacktrace.txt.
However, as a personal rule, both before and now, I never marked bugs
public that had these, whether or not I found sensitive data.

Is there a particular package or group of packages that you are
interested in helping out with?
I've focused on both linux (Ubuntu), libreoffice (Ubuntu), and
openoffice.org (Ubuntu).

Please list five or more bug reports which you have triaged and
include an explanation of your decisions. Please note that these bugs
should be representative of your very best work and they should
demonstrate your understanding of the triage process and how to
properly handle bugs. For all the bugs in the list, please indicate
what importance you would give it and explain the reasoning. Please
use urls in your list of bugs.
1) https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1212455

I brought the linux (Ubuntu) report all the way from New/Confirmed, to
a Triaged state, in that a bisect was performed on a regression, the
latest bios was upgraded to, the latest upstream kernel available at
the time was tested, and upstream was contacted with a response from
them.

2) https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-evdev/+bug/869047

In this Status Invalid report, while it was brought to the attention
of multiple upstream parties (both evdev and linux) it was determined
to be a BIOS upgrade that fixed the issue. This was a turning point in
my opinion on linux (Ubuntu) reports, in that I never even considered
requesting a BIOS or hardware firmware update from an original
reporter. However, after incorporating this into my linux (Ubuntu)
triage process, it was revealed this fixed numerous issues with SD
card readers, keyboard keys, USB 3.0 ports, internal laptop WiFi,
among others.

3) https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1210858

In this Status Fix Released report, I Unfortunately, because I didn't
mark it Triaged, due to my presently not having these permissions, a
triage robot toggled the report. worked with the original reporter to
test the latest mainline kernel available at the time, identify this
may not be a regression, and test out different kernel boot
parameters, they found independently the true root cause of the
problem, which was quickly incorporated into Saucy.

4) https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1060527

In this Status Invalid report, as part of the new emphasis on BIOS
updates, requesting this of the original reporter revealed a hardware
problem as the likely root cause.

5) https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1159358

In this Status Confirmed report, I helped the original reporter
install the newest upstream Canon printer driver in Saucy, which
didn't appear to fix the problem. Hence, this provided evidence to
this being a kernel problem, versus a driver problem.

Thank you for your time in this matter, and your consideration of this
application is appreciated.

Christopher M. Penalver
E-Mail: christopher.m.penalver@xxxxxxxxx

Follow ups