Re: FWD: rebuilt packages should be re-installed

On 09/29/2013 04:59 PM, C de-Avillez wrote:
> We, the Ubuntu Bug Control admins, received the following message.
> Since I am sure that it was not really to be addressed only to us, the
> admins, here it is:
>
> On Sun, 29 Sep 2013 20:30:23 -0000
> dino99 <dyvazar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Hello dear team,
>>
>> Currently Saucy archives are been rebuilt to take advantage of fixes
>> here and there. So the newly rebuilt packages populate the archives,
>> but the version is not updated, meaning no forced re-installation.
>> On the user system, these rebuilt packages are not used (as
>> reinstallation has not been forced), meaning that a possible borked
>> package (before rebuilt) continue to push trouble, and possibly
>> continue to add bug reports. This is not what is expected.
>>
>> Well, rebuilt packages have to be reinstalled : the version have to
>> set a "suffix" or else, to force reinstallation.
>> As Saucy is now close to the final iso, that renamed versioning could
>> happened for 14.04
>
> For the record, I am not sure what the OP is talking about.
>
> The LP explanation for this message is:
>
>> This message was sent from Launchpad by
>> dino99 (https://launchpad.net/~9d9)
>> using the "Contact this team's admins" link on the Ubuntu Bug Control
team
>> page (https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-bugcontrol).
>> For more information see
>> https://help.launchpad.net/YourAccount/ContactingPeople
>
> Cheers,
>
> ..C..
This is really the wrong list for this,
ubuntu-devel-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx would've been more appropriate.
Anyways, here's the answer.  The archive is being rebuilt to insure that
the current sources are buildable in the archive as we need to make sure
that we can rebuild binaries if needed (bug fixes, security updates).
This also allows users to rebuild the binaries themselves if they so
choose. These rebuilds are done in a separate archive and do not affect
users at all.

Thanks,
Micah