Re: Kubuntu triage policy conflicts with Ubuntu triage policy

* Phillip Susi (psusi@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> On 3/27/2014 5:14 AM, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> > Note that I think this is specific to KDE related things rather
> > than the rest of the shared distro, and as such I don't think the
> > conflict is that big an issue (albeit that the user will report a
> > bug and then get it thrown back at them and told to file upstream
> > which is messy).
>
> It is an issue because on launchpad "kde related things" are lumped in
> with the rest of ubuntu, and telling which is which is not always
> straight forward.  More importantly, the Ubuntu triage policy does not
> acknowledge this difference, and really it amounts to a total
> abrogation of all bug tracking responsibility.  There is a big
> difference between asking the user to *also* report the bug upstream,
> and telling them to buzz off.

The reality though, is that it does make more sense to report them
upstream for a few reasons:
   1) They tend to be up to date with upstream
   2) Ubuntu doesn't change them.
   3) There is a single upstream place to report them to
   4) Upstream seems happy with taking bugs reported from Ubuntu
      packages.

Now that combination is rare - taking a random package it's
unlikely all 4 of those are true, so it doesn't make sense for
it to be the general Ubuntu triage/report policy.

If people were to report KDE bugs into ubuntu/lp then it's just
a delay while someone triages it and then reports it upstream - the
extra comms delay doesn't help anyone.

What's needed though is a way to redirect the user early, so they
don't get the pain of getting told to buzz off.

Dave
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert    |       Running GNU/Linux       | Happy  \
\ gro.gilbert @ treblig.org |                               | In Hex /