Re: Proposed for SRU - sdformat package (LP: #1338845)

On 07/08/2014 04:53 PM, Alberto Salvia Novella wrote:
Brian Murray:
How did you come to this conclusion? The package does exist in the
repositories.

Alberto Salvia Novella:
 > Being in Trusty with all the repositories enabled, by writing
 > "sdformat" in the Synaptic Package Manager application and seeing it
 > only returns "sdformat-doc".

In fact, typing into the Terminal "sudo apt-get install sdformat"
doesn't work too.
the package name in the url is a source package and apt-get install takes a binary package as argument which is often not the same name.

Is there something I don't know about package management?

A reliable source of information on packages is launchpad:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sdformat
which will show you that 1.4.11-1 is available on Trusty.

or alternatively rmadison (from devscripts):
⟫ rmadison sdformat
 sdformat | 1.4.11-1 | trusty/universe          | source
 sdformat | 2.0.0-4  | utopic/universe          | source
 sdformat | 2.0.0-5  | utopic-proposed/universe | source