Re: Why not triaging confirmed bugs instead of new ones?

On Sun, 20 Jul 2014 18:29:44 +0200
Alberto Salvia Novella <es20490446e@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Daniel Letzeisen:
> > some 'New' bugs can go directly to triaged
>
> The question is what happens when they can't, what is usual: they
> stay shorted in the list on a pile till someone confirms them, making
> the triaging difficult.
>

> Daniel Letzeisen:
>  > such as requests for packaging/upgrading
>
> Since these are written by developers themselves, we can just ask
> them to set these as confirmed.

Well, packaging/upgrading requests are out-of-scope for standard
triaging [1]. These bugs should be left alone. This point has already
been made previously, BTW.

To make the point clear: do NOT ask developers to mark them confirmed.
Leave these bugs alone -- they are not actually bugs.

<snip/>

> If Launchpad could treat End Of Life bugs automatically I think it
> will be a great success.

Marking them as incomplete, correct? But this is a hammer: people do
state they reproduced the bug on a newer version, but do not update the
affected version...

Better to err on caution, and make this manual.

Cheers,

..C..

[1]
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Triage?action=show&redirect=Bugs%2FHowToTriage#Special_types_of_bugs