Re: Why not triaging confirmed bugs instead of new ones?

Brian Murray:
>  Given that the ability to set the importance of bug tasks is
>  restricted to a specific group of people I would first look at
>  importance and then at bug heat.

Alberto Salvia Novella:
Perhaps a good approach will be to set importances first for every
confirmed bug, then continue with the triaging; since this will warrant
to be spending every triaging piece of work in the most important things
first.

What comes out from these conversations is that it will be better to prototype and measure step by step rather than having a conversation about it without something palpable, specially being this process so interlaced that everyone will have a very different opinion about it.

Alberto Salvia Novella:
> If Launchpad could treat End Of Life bugs automatically I think it
> will be a great success.

I think this the exception from the above. It is just pretty clear, just by looking at:

 - The quantity of open bugs (http://tinyurl.com/25t3v6): 129308
- The known quantity of bugs for the supported releases (http://tinyurl.com/l5dhlhc): 35333

The second is only the 27% of the first.

These numbers make evident that:

- The quantity of open bugs (129308) is unmanageable for any team right now, even for discovering critical bugs.

 - The 73% of bugs have the potential of being End Of Life.

- Automatizing the management of End Of Life bugs will make a huge difference in quality, even if the automation algorithm expires a few of them wrongly in the beginning.

Regards.