Re: Why not triaging confirmed bugs instead of new ones?

Alberto Salvia Novella:
> I realized that users could not confirm private bugs; so new bugs
> must be included for sure in any list intended for triaging.

Not exactly true: just new private bugs will be required, which are a minority compared to the hole list of new bugs.

Brian Murray:
For people new to the triaging process looking
at "untouched bugs", those that are New, does make sense as they likely
contain the greatest number of actions to perform.

90% of these actions are:

- Invalidating End Of Life bugs.
- Invalidating unconfirmed bugs.

Which doesn't translate into a quality improvement in Ubuntu. Lean calls everything under this category a waste.

This means that by pushing out these two actions, we will be able to do ten times more work in the same period:

- Invalidating End Of Life bugs can be automatized.
- Invalidating unconfirmed bugs is implicit when a bug doesn't get reported by anyone else.

C de-Avillez:
> Better to err on caution, and make this manual.

As seen in practice, looking through the above errors doesn't make Ubuntu to be shipped with better quality; but to keep bug controllers busy with old stuff that most probably got rotten, and let pass obvious errors you will see day after day in the operating system.

This encourages people to filter these bugs, rather than checking them ones one by one. So leaving good old reports abandoned, as it already happens.

Brian Murray:
> Given that the ability to set the importance of bug tasks is
> restricted to a specific group of people I would first look at
> importance and then at bug heat.

Perhaps a good approach will be to set importances first for every confirmed bug, then continue with the triaging; since this will warrant to be spending every triaging piece of work in the most important things first.

At least this is what Six Sigma suggests: shorting first, then shining.

Regards from a lost place in the mountain.