Christopher Penalver bug handling methodology (was: Request technical opinion on LP#1353129)

Christopher wrote:
> However, our fellow Ubuntu Bug Control member Rolf Leggewie is of the
> strong opinion that this has nothing to do with the linux kernel, but
> with unity.

Christopher, you are knowingly misrepresenting me without even having
the decency to send me a CC (I've only subscribed temporarily to this ML
now and copied above text from the web).  That makes me uneasy.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/1353129/comments/21

Nowhere have I ever given an indication of a *STRONG* opinion, quite the
contrary as seen in the link.

I only come to know of your mail because I had prepared a mail of my own
to send to this list about "quality vs. quantity" work in LP.  At least
I had the decency to plan and sleep over it and CC you. Sigh!

As someone who is possibly affected by above bug I merely asked you (in
unison with the OP of 1353129) to stay away.  Another courtesy you
routinely do not afford to others.  Your work is alienating people from
Ubuntu I am afraid and results in more tickets closed but less bugs
getting reported and fixed, I feel.  Your playground is the kernel, so I
tried to move the ticket away from your playground, as a courtesy and to
calm things down. Sigh!

Since we are already at it, here is the mail I had planned to send.

Subject: Christopher Penalver bug handling methodology

Hello,

my name is Rolf Leggewie.  I've been a long-time bug-control member with
a steady Ubuntu contribution history slowly approaching 10 years.  But I
usually work on my own, so maybe some people here know me while others
may not.

A few years ago, a fellow member of bug-control named Christopher
Penalver came onto the scene and has managed to log an impressive amount
of comments in LP and other work.  That should be reason for applause.
Unfortunately, he also managed to piss off quite a few people in the
process, mostly ordinary users, I suppose, and IMVHO presented the
Ubuntu bug triage process in a bad light.  The message sent is akin to
"How dare you report an issue to us? We will make you jump through all
kinds of time-consuming and sometimes risky hoops and once we run out of
hoops to throw at you we will ignore you until the next release when we
repeat the cycle."  He is usually politically-correct so that wording
above is obviously purely my own, but the message sent and more
importantly the one that is received is clearly as stated above.

Ubuntu should do better and by granting bug-control we allow Christopher
to represent Ubuntu.  I am uneasy about that.  I am uneasy about the
amount of privs he has been given to do his IMVHO net-negative work.
Since I am uneasy about the privs he already got I wanted to publicly
voice my concern if ever he applied for even more.  I left him a
negative review on his wiki page which he removed within less than 15
minutes even though he actively asks for reviews[1].  An inability to
deal with criticism makes me uneasy.

I firmly believe Christopher has good intentions.  In fact, I believe
they are too good and he should slow down.  Aim for more quality and
less quantity or even take a sabbatical.  From what I can see, his
interest is in closing the maximum amount of tickets or at least to get
them off-radar in another way.  That makes me uneasy.  The goal should
be to fix problems and close tickets only as a consequence.  The
procedures he uses alienate a tremendous amount of reporters and paints
Ubuntu in a bad light.  That makes me uneasy.  At least in my case, he
makes my life as bug-control more difficult by insisting I cannot do
bug-triage the way *I* would like to do it because apparently he sees LP
as some kind of game or power struggle or what-not and he doesn't like
to back down.  He is a stickler for rules which I believe he mostly
invented himself and should never be seen as gospel anyhow. People
frequently ask him to ignore their tickets and he never does.  That
makes me uneasy.

So, now what?  I'd like to see how others feel about this.  I appreciate
the help that Christopher is trying to give.  But I would like to send
him a public message that I believe he should slow down and focus on
quality support instead of a massive, bot-like number of canned

Best regards

Rolf Leggewie

PS: English is not my first language and I am slightly aggravated, but
my intentions are good. If in doubt about a meaning of what I wrote,
please ask first before jumping to conclusions.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/penalvch?action=diff&rev2=26&rev1=25