ubuntu-cyclists team mailing list archive

Re: Winter has arrived

2008/12/1 Fabian Rodriguez <magicfab@xxxxxxxxxx>

> Hi all
>
> As winter starts in Montreal, I am wondering who else is biking through
> the winter.

  I also live in Montreal and I've ridden in the winter for several years
off and on. In Montreal, what you need to concern yourself with isn't the
snow, but the salt. Montreal hoses its streets with salt and this will kill
your bike.

   My suggestions are these:

   1.  Get a Fixie. If you can find an old fixie with one brake. Go for it.
   Brakes tend to get clogged with snow and ice and freeze and don't work. The
   fixie will help you slow down with your feet. Don't expect the bike to last
   very long.
   2. Don't worry about tires. I find they make zero difference. I have a
   buddy that got studded tires and so far he says they just slow him down.
   3. It's all about bike handling. Ride slow and be really aware of where
   the bike is flowing to. On ice and snow, bikes move in all kinds of
   directions and you have to be able to feel which way they are going and
   adjust.
   4. No abrupt movements. If the bikes starts to slide in a way you don't
   want it to go, don't try to correct it quickly. You'll go down. Slowly feel
   which way the bike is going and adjust slowly.
   5. Take up all the room you need on the road. Don't let cars intimidate
   you. If there is a patch of road near the middle that isn't covered in snow
   and the sides are all ice and snow, take the middle. Yes cars will honk and
   be impatient. Tough luck for them. When you get to a spot to let them go by,
   do so. But your safety comes first.
   6. Oil your chain. Lots. Buy thick yucky chain oil (Phil's Tenacious) and
   hose your chain with it.

   Good Luck!