ubuntu-cyclists team mailing list archive

Re: Winter has arrived

Andrew Rodaway wrote:

>> I have a BionX on my bike ( http://www.bionx.ca ), apparently not many
>> people use that through the winter. I just decided I would try and
>> document whatever happens - which may mean donating it to science as it
>> may not survive.
> Hey Fabian - how much does a BionX cost? Does it have enough grunt to
> push you up a gentle hill? [My commute goes downhill for a mile, then
> uphill for a mile - I'm hoping for 100% regeneration efficiency... ;-) ]
>
> a.

Regeneration is nowhere near 100% (not even 30% in my experience).

Cost varies, mine was around $1500, this can be put on pretty much any
bike. My commute is ~30 km round trip, perhaps 1/5 of that is uphill. On
flat roads it's nice to use is to go faster (I tweaked it to go ~40km/h)
 or beat windy conditions.

About hills, t's a bit unfair when you pass people, but I got used to
the feeling really fast :) I've found 1 charge lasts ~70km.

Regarding Justin comments:

>    1.  Get a Fixie. If you can find an old fixie with one brake. Go for
>       it. Brakes tend to get clogged with snow and ice and freeze and
>       don't work. The fixie will help you slow down with your feet.
>       Don't expect the bike to last very long.

I am not sure a BionX can be fit on those. However I am merging this
advice into my current ride by lowering my seat and being ready to use
my feet.

>    2. Don't worry about tires. I find they make zero difference. I have
>       a buddy that got studded tires and so far he says they just slow
>       him down.

Interesting. So far the main difference I think is psychological: I
don't fear dying at everytime as I did with my other tires (even in rain
yconditions). It's a bit late as I already have them, so I'll see how
they behave.

>    3. It's all about bike handling. Ride slow and be really aware of
>       where the bike is flowing to. On ice and snow, bikes move in all
>       kinds of directions and you have to be able to feel which way they
>       are going and adjust.
>    4. No abrupt movements. If the bikes starts to slide in a way you
>       don't want it to go, don't try to correct it quickly. You'll go
>       down. Slowly feel which way the bike is going and adjust slowly.

Scary stuff. :) I hope I don't forget this.

I am still looking for a way to practice without killing the bike, the
gear or myself.

>    5. Take up all the room you need on the road. Don't let cars
>       intimidate you. If there is a patch of road near the middle that
>       isn't covered in snow and the sides are all ice and snow, take the
>       middle. Yes cars will honk and be impatient. Tough luck for them.

I do this all the time, actually. I've found when I don't take the
space, cars/trucks will corner me which is 10x more dangerous.

>    6. Oil your chain. Lots. Buy thick yucky chain oil (Phil's Tenacious)
>       and hose your chain with it.

My bike shop suggested greasing the whole bike (well, joints and such)
and NOT pouring water on any salt builds, plus leaving the bike outside
(or at least in cold conditions).

F.