ubuntu-cyclists team mailing list archive

Re: Hello Ubuntu Cyclists!

Nixternal wrote:

What did you get? Me, I am a Trek guy, so I have a couple of Madones, a 1.2 road bike, and a 7.3FX commuter/fitness bike. I am an avid racer, though I do suck and have been recently involved with getting taken out by other riders. Lost a Madone last month in a race and I am still recovering from
the crash today.

Oooh, Madones are *nice*!

It's hand-built by a local bikeshop, they call it a "Jensen K12" :-) [0] I *think* the name signals that the frame is made from 12K Carbon but I'm not sure. They told me the frame is made in Asia. They can sell the frames quite cheaply, because they're directly imported, not via some Italian framemaker that sticks their name on and charges double. It's not the top of the line in the shop, but it's really very very nice. Oh, and I got the FSA Plasma handlebars you see on the webpage as well. My other bike is a MTB, a Rivette H4 [1].

I recommend Voler/Velowear as they provide the jerseys and bibs for the team I ride on. They are awesome quality and by far some of my favorite chamois next to Assos of course :) Voler does custom uniforms on the cheap. I pay $110 for a complete racing set, 1 bib and 1 jersey, through the team, and I am guessing it would be that same exact price. Typically it is $45 to $55 for a custom jersey if enough are ordered, and $55 to $65 for a killer set of matching bibs. They are also international as they provide the team
kits for many pro teams including UCI teams.

Those prices are quite reasonable, should be within reach for most people.

I'd *love* to ride in a jersey with the Ubuntu logo on the front and
back, wouldn't you? I see there are 214 members of this group as of
today, so we might be able to get a good price. Whattayathink? Perhaps if we promise to buy N jerseys, Canonical's webstore might step in and
help?

I asked about this actually at the UDS in Mt. View, as Canonical has a few cyclists as well, and they all wanted it. So maybe if we push enough we can
win :)

Cool! I'm sure that worldwide, there'd be lots of cyclists interested in a cool Ubuntu jersey. I did a quick 5-minute mockup of one possible design -- we really ought to get some help here, perhaps from the amazingly skilled Ubuntu-arts people -- but this is sorta what I'd like to ride in! [2]. It would look great with black shorts or bibs! I used the Flash design editor at owayo.com, go for it and upload your designs on the Wiki!

Also, we have created a team on http://www.mapmyride.com for us, so you can map your rides and document your training. It is by far one of my favorite
websites out there. Also, racers like to hang out on
http://www.bikeforums.net.

I'll check it out, thanks!

Cheers,
Morten