ubuntu-defect-analysts team mailing list archive

Re: Filing in the gaps... help please

Hi Kate,

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 4:11 PM, Kate Stewart <kate.stewart@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hiya,
>    I've been looking at the team subscriptions to see how I can
> incorporate into the weekly bug review for the release, and there is a
> discrepancy between the number of packages subscribed to by teams, and
> the packages in main. Since the packages in main have a different level
> of support expectation, they do need to be at least looked at and the
> gaps clearly identified.
>
>      The development teams don't have the resources to fix all the
> problems obviously, but knowing where the gaps are is important for
> management (so they can be addressed ;) ).  To help with that, using the
> list that brian was kind enough to generate of main packages in
> oneiric, and building on the work that Robbie did, as well as my
> investigations, there is a first pass at a team assignment to most of
> the packages in main here:
>
> https://docs.google.com/a/canonical.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhTVBLlLWapNdHRpM2QyRGQ5NGFzZmF3ODNpZ2E3d1E&authkey=CJzt1xo&hl=en_US#gid=0

I've managed to extract from Launchpad a list with all the packages in
main for Oneiric, and I've added another sheet with them, including
maintainer and subscribers. There are about 500 packages more than in
your list, so it might be nice to look at them to define the right
team.

I'll mark the packages assigned to ubuntu-server team tomorrow, all
the other teams can do the same. :) Subscriber information is a bit
confusing there, but I believe it's possible to filter lines given
some text to figure out if a team is already assigned to a package.

> Caveats:
> - There WILL be packages assigned to the wrong team.  I need your help
> to fix it so they are assigned to the "closest" logical team.
> - There are about 500 more that still need some investigation before a
> first pass assignment is done.  So more will be added.

There you go. :) I believe all the remaining packages are added now.

> - The list was generated before feature freeze, so packages are missing
> and more will be added.
> - I haven't updated the "subscribed to" by teams column for about 3
> weeks, so there are no doubt updates are needed there too.

Information about subscribers is pretty fresh there. Extracted from
production data as of today.

> - After we get main sorted out,  the next priority will be to add the
> seeded universe packages, and getting the flavor leads to vet them.

Some of the packages in your list are not in main anymore. I've added
a column to determine the component, so we can tell where they are
now.

> Where I need your help:
> 1) review all the packages your team is subscribed to currently and make
> sure they are indicated in column C.  Are there team subscription lists
> I've missed?   What should the resolution be when two teams subscribe to
> the same package - who does the first investigation?
> 2) review the packages associated with your team in column B.  If you
> spot ones that are NOT part of your team's remit - fill it in with the
> team you believe should have it in their remit.  Please do not make it
> blank.   Valid options are: ARM, desktop, documentation, dx,
> foundations, kernel, kubuntu, QA, security, server, translators,
> Ubuntu-one.   If a package is specific to a flavor, specifying it
> against that flavor is appropriate as well (ie. xubuntu,
> edubuntu,lubuntu, etc. )
>
> Why is this going to be useful:
> Brad Figg will be adjusting his report scripts to pull from this
> spreadsheet as an interim measure, until we can figure out a better long
> term solution (launchpad field, changing maintainer fields in
> package,... ??? ).  This will give a unified view to assist in
> automation across team for such things as weekly hot bug lists from
> release team, iso bugs, stablerelease bug reports by team, etc.
>
> Let me know if there are questions.   Your help getting this accurate
> quickly will pay off as we work through the beta bugs coming in now, and
> getting them into the hands of the developers able to fix them faster.
>
> Thanks for your help with this,
> Kate

Cheers,

Ursula