ubuntu-defect-analysts team mailing list archive

Filing in the gaps... help please

Hiya,
    I've been looking at the team subscriptions to see how I can
incorporate into the weekly bug review for the release, and there is a
discrepancy between the number of packages subscribed to by teams, and
the packages in main. Since the packages in main have a different level
of support expectation, they do need to be at least looked at and the
gaps clearly identified.

      The development teams don't have the resources to fix all the
problems obviously, but knowing where the gaps are is important for
management (so they can be addressed ;) ).  To help with that, using the
list that brian was kind enough to generate of main packages in
oneiric, and building on the work that Robbie did, as well as my
investigations, there is a first pass at a team assignment to most of
the packages in main here:

https://docs.google.com/a/canonical.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhTVBLlLWapNdHRpM2QyRGQ5NGFzZmF3ODNpZ2E3d1E&authkey=CJzt1xo&hl=en_US#gid=0

Caveats:
- There WILL be packages assigned to the wrong team.  I need your help
to fix it so they are assigned to the "closest" logical team.
- There are about 500 more that still need some investigation before a
first pass assignment is done.  So more will be added.
- The list was generated before feature freeze, so packages are missing
and more will be added.
- I haven't updated the "subscribed to" by teams column for about 3
weeks, so there are no doubt updates are needed there too.
- After we get main sorted out,  the next priority will be to add the
seeded universe packages, and getting the flavor leads to vet them.

Where I need your help:
1) review all the packages your team is subscribed to currently and make
sure they are indicated in column C.  Are there team subscription lists
I've missed?   What should the resolution be when two teams subscribe to
the same package - who does the first investigation?
2) review the packages associated with your team in column B.  If you
spot ones that are NOT part of your team's remit - fill it in with the
team you believe should have it in their remit.  Please do not make it
blank.   Valid options are: ARM, desktop, documentation, dx,
foundations, kernel, kubuntu, QA, security, server, translators,
Ubuntu-one.   If a package is specific to a flavor, specifying it
against that flavor is appropriate as well (ie. xubuntu,
edubuntu,lubuntu, etc. )

Why is this going to be useful:
Brad Figg will be adjusting his report scripts to pull from this
spreadsheet as an interim measure, until we can figure out a better long
term solution (launchpad field, changing maintainer fields in
package,... ??? ).  This will give a unified view to assist in
automation across team for such things as weekly hot bug lists from
release team, iso bugs, stablerelease bug reports by team, etc.

Let me know if there are questions.   Your help getting this accurate
quickly will pay off as we work through the beta bugs coming in now, and
getting them into the hands of the developers able to fix them faster.

Thanks for your help with this,
Kate

Follow ups