ubuntu-defect-analysts team mailing list archive

Where do bugs without a package end up?

During the discussion at UDS regarding no package bug reports[1] one
idea that came up was writing apport-symptoms for things about which
people want to report bugs.  For example using 'ubuntu-bug boot' would
help people file a bug about the boot process by asking questions to
determine the proper package and then gather useful log files for that
package.

This leads to the question to which package do no package bug reports
transition?  I've looked at the ubuntu-bugs mailing list[2], which
receives all public Launchpad Ubuntu bug mail, for 2011 and came up with
the following.

Package: Count
linux (Ubuntu): 500
unity (Ubuntu): 134
ubiquity (Ubuntu): 132
update-manager (Ubuntu): 85
xorg (Ubuntu): 83
compiz (Ubuntu): 35
network-manager (Ubuntu): 35
nautilus (Ubuntu): 34
alsa-driver (Ubuntu): 34
gnome-power-manager (Ubuntu): 24
gnome-control-center (Ubuntu): 23
libreoffice (Ubuntu): 22
debian-installer (Ubuntu): 19
grub2 (Ubuntu): 17

While there isn't a direct mapping between package and symptom I think
this gives a general idea of some symptoms / problems that would be
useful to write.  Ones that occur to me are - 'installation', 'software
update', 'network connection'.  The vast majority end up with linux
though so perhaps a more detailed analysis of what types of issues
people are trying to report would help.  By the way there already is a
path for sound bugs to take - perhaps it is just under advertised.

Any thoughts or comments?

[1]
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/foundations-p-no-package-bugs
[2] I skipped bugs tagged 'apport-crash', 'apport-bug' and
'apport-package' as my bug bot moves these to the package they should
have been filed about anyway.

Thanks,
--
Brian Murray