ubuntu-defect-analysts team mailing list archive

Re: Where do bugs without a package end up?

On Mon, 2011-11-14 at 14:33 -0800, Brian Murray wrote:
> While there isn't a direct mapping between package and symptom I think
> this gives a general idea of some symptoms / problems that would be
> useful to write.  Ones that occur to me are - 'installation', 'software
> update', 'network connection'.  The vast majority end up with linux
> though so perhaps a more detailed analysis of what types of issues
> people are trying to report would help.  By the way there already is a
> path for sound bugs to take - perhaps it is just under advertised.
>
> Any thoughts or comments?

The approach of outlining symptoms/problem areas and provide guidance to
get useful information, has a definite appeal.

Possibly one way to advertise/communicate is to feed some questions into
AskUbuntu along those lines, and then provide the guidance on what
information to pull up to help narrow down installation,
software-update, etc. types of bugs?   Putting some of this on wiki
pages for gathering information on triaging types of problems might be
useful as well?

Half the time its knowing which component is engaged when you see a
specific symptom - and some of the names, purpose and flow/transitions
could use some further explanation to help.

Kate