ubuntu-defect-analysts team mailing list archive

Re: jQuery the saga...

On 02/27/2012 12:36 PM, Pete Graner wrote:
Hi Folks,

If your following canonical-tech mailing list you've seen Mark's stance on jQuery, if not you can read the archives...

Let me say first the mess is my fault since I didn't know we had a wiki page that listed acceptable technologies to use in Canonical.

To remedy the situation I've asked Max one of the programmers on the QA team to look at other graphing toolkits & YUI for the table views. The current toolkit (highcharts) works around jQuery and doesn't support YUI.

This is a good time since Max has an upcoming task for reworking the bootspeed reporting to deal with the volume of data that it generates and it is deep in jQuery & highcharts.

Until then the guidance from both myself & Rick on this topic is:

* Keep what we have
* No new tools using jQuery (YUI3 is the sanctioned js toolkit)
* Max & I will investigate other options
* If the new options use any new tool kits etc. we will get them approved by the powers that be.
* Max will do the grunt work of refactoring the reports repo to the new technology.

NOTE: Don't expect this to happen overnight, if you need to create new reports do so, we have a migration plan as defined above.

If you have any concerns or questions please feel free to ping me or Max.

~pete

DataTable looks like the right tool for YUI. It's not going to be
a huge amount of work to transition over but it will be some. DataTable
looks like it has almost all the features the jQuery table widget
I used does. It doesn't look like it will do multi-column sorting
which is something I like. I'm not sure it handles sorting non-numeric,
non-text columns.

Brad
--
Brad Figg brad.figg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.canonical.com