ubuntu-developer-manual team mailing list archive

Re: Developer Manual Sample App

On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 10:03 -0700, Rick Spencer wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-05-31 at 11:19 +0100, Stuart Langridge wrote:
> > I like the theory, but there is a big objection to using Jotty. I think
> > that people will say: why doesn't it pick up my Tomboy notes? If people
> > are using Tomboy, and syncing it with Ubuntu One, then their Tomboy
> > notes are in desktopcouch. It would make sense for Jotty to recognise
> > and work with those notes, so that Tomboy and Jotty share notes -- this
> > would be a lovely demonstration of applications sharing data through
> > desktopcouch. However, to do that, Jotty will have to save notes into
> > desktopcouch using Tomboy's XML format, and explaining and doing that
> > might be awkward for a first-time application.
> Well, it's just a *sample* app after all. Not really meant for actually
> using the app after it's done.

Well, kinda, but that seems like a bit of a wasted opportunity; making
people go through the process of creating an app that won't actually be
used at the end of it. If the tutorial app is actually something at
least mildly useful then we're more likely to get bugfixes for it, which
will improve the quality of the manual, no?

(I also don't like the idea of propagating two separate incompatible
formats for notes stored in desktopcouch :( )

The identica app suggested sounds like a good example, perhaps?

sil