ubuntu-developer-manual team mailing list archive

Re: a table of contents that looks like one

Hey, Kyle.

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 10:19 PM, Kyle Nitzsche
<kyle.nitzsche@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> Thanks for the thoughtful response.
>
> I will just say that from the first time I saw the ubuntu-manual style TOC,
> I didn't love it. When I landed there and "Contents" wasn't visible, I was
> not immediately sure what I was looking at (words and numbers). That it is
> was colored text didn't indicate anything to me. And I've mentioned that I
> don't love the amorphous floating look it has.

Fair enough.

> Ergo my provisional (more traditional) TOC layout, which I think reads as
> what it is straightaway, and is therefore less confusing.
>
> Design is art and utility, both of which are elusive, and not solely
> reducible to reason. What fun!
>
> As I said, if on review of the images I previous sent, the consensus is to
> revert to the old toc, by all means, let's revert to the old toc!

There are a number of ways to design a table of contents.  For an
interesting mix, see
http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/07/07/table-of-contents-creative-and-beautiful-examples/.
 That why I was trying to get you to pin down more precisely what it
was that bothered you about it.

After more content shows up and I get a feel for the voice and style,
we can start playing around with a lot more design options.

--Kevin