ubuntu-developer-manual team mailing list archive

Re: Developers' Manual Chapter Layout

Hi

A few quick thoughts below.

Cheers,
Kyle
On 01/05/2011 03:24 PM, Rick Spencer wrote:
All ...

I am so happy to see the manual coming together, and the content getting
filled in!

First, I know that we had originally planned to build a single app
successively through the chapters, but in practice, this is turning out
to be less useful and instructive than original thought. I suggest we
abondon this approach so we can focus each chapter on what is useful.
Thoughts?

Second, after looking over the document, I think we can make it flow
pretty well by breaking it in 2 major parts. Below is my suggested
layout. Please let me know what you think ....

Thanks all.

Cheers, Rick

Prologue
Part 1: Overview and Intro
Chapter 1: Introduction to the tools (currently called "Introduction to
Ubuntu Application Development")
Chapter 2: A fly though of building an app (currently $quickly tutorial)
Chapter 3: Python Language Crash Course (may be more suitable as an
appendix?)
I think Python Crash Course should be an appendix (or separated, maybe later) because: * it is not unique to Ubuntu app development *per se*, which this guide should be tightly focused on
 * many readers already know python

Part 2: Building an App
Chapter 4: Getting Started (Currently Creating an application with
Quickly, but with some meat added)
Chapter 5: Glade
etc...
I wonder if Getting Started and Glade are really so intertwined they should be one chapter. Or rather, if Building an App should be split into chapters that reflect that actual process & work flow of building an app. So this Part takes the user through building that sample app, with chapters in the natural order.
Chapter 9: Index of Common APIs
I'd put that (API index) in an appendix and reference it from content. Again, it is not unique to Ubuntu app dev.
Part 3: Collaborating and Sharing
Chapter 10: Using bzr for versioning and collaborating
Chapter 11: Using Launchpad to Manage Your Project
Chapter 12: Distributing your work