ubuntu-developer-manual team mailing list archive

Re: language issue: "fr_CA" (French Canada) doesn't work

I was not quite correct about this

It turns out that I can add fr_CA (French Canada (which is not defined in the .cls file) and pt_BR (which is).

However, building a pdf fails when I inserted those codes into a po file's msgstr, for example like this:
msgid "Introduction to Launchpad"
msgstr "fr_CA: Intro"

The underscore has to be escaped, like this, and all is well:
msgid "Introduction to Launchpad"
msgstr "fr\\_CA: Intro"

I have never encountered the requirement that underscores be escaped in po translations before and wonder if this is an artifact of po4a. I also wonder whether translations done through the normal LP & Ubuntu Translators process will potentially break this. I will determine these answers.

Cheers,
Kyle