ubuntu-developer-manual team mailing list archive

Re: how to anchor a graphic (\screenshot) to a bit of text?

On 01/10/2011 07:51 PM, Kevin Godby wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by requiring a person to "go through the
text and plcae [sic] figures*every*  time we need to create a pdf."
What I proposed is that you continue placing your \screenshot commands
in as you've been doing.  Before we create the final PDF that gets
released to the world, we'll go through and massage the placement of
the screenshots (and margin notes and other fiddly bits).  This
process occurs once, just prior to the release.  It does not and
should not be done each time someone runs 'make'
Let me try to restate my concern.

It would be (very) nice if someone/anyone could produce the pdfs without having to worry about massaging things to make sure that figures are contiguous to the relevant text, in accordance with the author's wishes.

When figures are not proximal to the text, it presents a barrier to usability and therefore comprehensibility, I think.

I would rather have figures-with-their-text and awkward white space than figures-separated-from-their-text (and inserted *into* text where they don't belong).

Also: we know that different languages have different string lengths than en_US. Page breaks would fall differently. Therefore, I wonder, if the "process" you refer to above occurs once for *all* languages or if it needs to be done for *each* language.

Cheers,
Kyle