ubuntu-developer-manual team mailing list archive

Re: Multimedia Chapter

On 01/16/2011 12:16 AM, Kevin Godby wrote:
Hey, Rick.

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 7:48 PM, Rick Spencer
<rick.spencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Oops, never mind, I had missed your rather complete description that was
sent separately.
For the line numbers, I don't have any instructions written yet.  I'm
still sorting it out myself.

But for some of the code blocks in your multimedia chapter, the line
numbers should be continuous from one block to the next.  It looks
like a complete program with some commentary interspersed.  For this
complete program, the line numbering for each code block should
continue where it left off.

In other cases, you've shown a bit of code that seems to stand alone.
The line numbering for these blocks could be reset to 1 or turned off
entirely.

(Note that I may be misreading or misinterpreting the code. I didn't
look at it but in passing as I was adding the markup, so I may be
wrong on the above points.)

In the end, we may decide not to number and of the code blocks.
Belinda will have to chime in with some thoughts on this before it's
over, I think.

I don't have a preference on numbering code blocks other than to say that this will be an online resource and folks will want to cut and paste from the examples so we want to allow for that. Without the line numbering it will be easier for them to do so.
Does it make sense for me to continue to focus on producing content, and
let others integrate the content like this? I ask, because it works well
for me, and there are at least 2 more chapters I'd like to add.
If you're unfamiliar with the LaTeX markup, I'm happy to add it for
you.  One thing you could do that would help a lot is to mark the
inline code somehow.  (You can use the same markdown syntax you were
using if you like.)  Those hints are easier than me reading through
all of it and deciding whether something is code or not.

yip - you writing is more critical than you doing markup.

Thanks all!

Belinda

Thanks!

--Kevin