ubuntu-developer-manual team mailing list archive

Moving to docbook markup

Hi folks,
I wanted to bring up the discussion about moving docbook markup and away from the current latex-based toolchain. There are several reasons for this; most important is the need for html output. We started with the toolchain being used by the manual project b/c I knew it worked for PDF output but was recently made aware that we really need html first and the PDF is secondary to that. That along with the translations being easier, made me conclude that the docbook-based toolchain has many benefits. So I'm proposing that we migrate to docbook and I'll take the brunt of the work doing the markup and creating a new branch. Kyle has offered to continue working on some better tools for the make process and we'll continue to refine the toolchain along the way. So if there are no strong objections, I'd like to propose that we migrate the project to a docbook-based toolchain.

Everyone has done a great job of pitching in and I hope we can count on your help as we keep moving forward.

thanks,

Belinda

belinda.lopez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
dinda@xxxxxxxxxx