ubuntu-developer-manual team mailing list archive

Workflow now and in the future, Project Status

Thanks everyone for their input on the toolchain options. I think these will always be evolving and improving so trying to strike a balance btwn today's tool and tomorrow's requires some compromises. The big picture is that the work will ultimately be housed on the developer.ubuntu.com website, "published" once per cycle via either a manual or (hopefully) an automated process, that grabs the latest version of the bzr branch then outputs it to html on the site and also offers a "Download it all" PDF button. I'm confident we'll have a good base document for this cycle so that future updates will be relatively easy for contributors. I really like the concept of removing all the background work of having to setup a toolchain or do any markup from authors so I'm glad we've been able to do that this cycle.

We're not too far off our original schedule, the remaining looks like this:

Monday 31 - Second draft of each chapter due, image placeholders & captions for all screenshots Monday 31 Jan - 5 February - Copy editing, docbook conversion, document new toolchain, create new docbook branch
Monday 7 -19 February - Proofreading/QA, feedback incorporated
Monday 21 Feb - Incorporate screenshots, any other graphics, cover design (24 Feb-Natty Feature Freeze)
Monday 28 Feb - Final QA, formatting fixes, Branch fixes
Friday 12 March - Version 1.0 released to public
14 - 31 March - Marketing & distribution push - blogs, other online free bookstores

So I'd like to propose that authors upload or send me any revised/additional text asap and I'll start working on the conversion to docbook as I'm editing this week. I will also take the action of doing the screenshots for the current draft and watermark them with "DRAFT" until Feature Freeze. There are 38 so far.

As for content:

   *   Rick needs to review Widgets and Indicators.  You also mentioned
     reworking the multimedia section?
   * Stuart - you have a note to yourself saying you want to add more
     about Using Views - can you work on that asap?
   * I'll be revising the Intro and writing a new final summary chapter
     as the book kind of just ends abruptly.  I'll also incorporate
     some of the Quickly tutorial material into that section as it's a
     bit short right now.

So a busy week! but by next week we'll have a pretty good version almost ready for developer.ubuntu.com

thanks all!

Belinda

Canonical
belinda.lopez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx