ubuntu-developer-manual team mailing list archive

sample pdf of Ubuntu Developer Guide with some chapters

Hi all:

Attached book pdf consists of the chapters that are currently present as branches in ~ubuntu-developer-manual

Belinda: note, I've modified all chapters to uniquify the id attributes (via some code I've written and will soon incorporate in doctemplate).

(But, I cannot currently push those branches due to an apparent bzr server error, so until I can push, one cannot build the book pdf from those branches, although articles build fine individually.)

A few notes:

The Ubuntu Developer Guide "book" consists of branches:
* one branch per chapter (chapters are docbook articles. This approach will facilitate true modularization/remixability of content AND ease translation down the road. We may want a super LP project with subprojects for each article, each of which is translated right there, independently) * the book branch (this has a file name book.xml which contains <art> elements that point to articles directories) * the "customization" branch (this provides a single place for output styling/customization for all articles directories. Article projects point here vie the environment file's CUSTOM variable; they can point to article-specific customization directories.)
 * install doctemplate from https://launchpad.net/~doctemplate-team/+archive/ppa

You can branch them all into a new directory. Go into any article and build (with doctemplate_make_<TAB.>) it into html, html-site, pdf, etc. and localized (images & translations) outputs are generated in article's build/<type>/<locale>/ dir for all linguas and article's LINGUAS file.

Go into book and build book pdf with doctemplate_make_book_pdf. All articles are freshly localized (using book's LINGUAS file) and book pdf is placed in build/. Although this will not work currently because the id attributes in articles are not unique across book scope. As noted above, I've fixed this but can't push it yet.

(The Draft watermarking and header labeling in the book are create by adding "draft" arg to doctemplate_make_book_pdf command.)

This doctemplate build system is generic and can be used for new articles and books: I've taken pains to ensure this is not a one-off build system for ubuntu-dev-guide but is truly generic. There are many other aspects to it (for example, overriding default per-lang fonts used when creating pdfs... and etc.)

Cheers,
Kyle