Re: [Question #39727]: root file system

Steve Pearce proposed the following answer:
I am guessing that on the partition menu, you haven't defined a place
for "/".  Which is essential.

You can safely ignore creating a swap partition.

I currently run Ubuntu on a 4GB Eee. I am pretty sure that it requires
more than 2GB to install. This could also be causing a problem.

I space is indeed the problem, and If you are experienced enough, you
could try and build Ubuntu using the mini installer. Installing only
what you require.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD