[Question #42348]: Using LiveCD on 901 from USB flash drive with persist

I posted on one of the eeeuser.com forums and adamm (of array.org) suggest I mention my finding to the ubuntu eee project...

I want to try out Ubuntu EEE on my new EEE 901 without deleting Xandros just yet and without installing anything on the EEE. I figured the easiest way was to run the "LiveCD" iso but off a keydrive (using unetbootin to install). I also wanted it to persist what I did while running off the image. I was initially going to use a new cheap 4G usb drive but the one I got was defective so I used a spare 2G drive.

So I took the ISO and using the "customize live cd" ubuntu docs I tweaked it to use the latest .21 kernel from array.org so I could get full 901 hardware support. I also fixed the bug in one of the casper scripts for hardy that prevents the persistent option working (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/casper/+bug/219192). I set up two partitions on the usb keydrive and used unetbootin on the first and set the second up as a "casper-cow" labelled ext3 partition. I tweaked the syslinux.cfg to add the "persistent" option to the boot command line. It worked great, booting and persisting wifi settings etc through shutdown.

I then got a functioning 4GB usb keydrive, cloned the setup onto it, booted and got dumped out to busybox in initramfs. After looking at dmesg and logs and poking around I eventually figured out the usb keydrive wasn't visible to the casper script trying to find "casper-cow" and so the script was bombing out. No devices entry, no mention on dmesg. Unplugging it and plugging it back in caused it to be found. If I did this during boot before casper script started scanning the drives everything booted fine.

I think the difference is that my 2G drive uses a slower USB standard. I then tweaked conf/modules in the initramfs image to load the ehci_ecd module (after fuse) and booting behaved without needing me to do the remove/insert trick.  I guess conf/modules is normally populated from the mkinitrd preload option?

So just in case this information is of any use to the ubuntu eee developers I thought it worth mentioning - it probably only affects people attempting to use Hardy's "persistent" option booting from a faster USB pendrive with adamm's kernel on a 901, which may only be me ;).

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post - wasn't sure where to mention about it!