[Question #44146]: running ubuntu eee live off sdhc good or bad

hi, i have a 2g surf  so when i tried to install ubuntu eee it said not enough space, so i had to settle back with win xp,on the ssd, but then using the ubunutinit i made the iso image to the sd card and now i have a live version bootable off from my sd giving me a dual boot option.
my question... 1. using the sd card like i am is it detrimental to the eee or my sd card... since the live runs off ram right?? so long term use is it okay??
2. is there a toned down version for the 2 g surf ???? cos i really like ubuntu alot..
i am linux newbie ... so  any advice would be most welcome