[Question #44218]: How to recover lost applets?

While trying to remove a separator in the panel, somehow the wifi and battery meter applets disappeared for good. They're not on the applets list, so I can't reenable them by right-clicking on the panel.

I read a related question (https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu-eee/+question/39627) and the solution was to go to Session preferences and add the applets to the list so they autostart. My surprise was that they are already on the list, but still they don't start.

I tried launching nm-applet (wifi applet) from a terminal and it didn't do anything, apparently.