[Question #45023]: dd and klogd consume lots of cpu when network is disabled

I've been tweaking my Eee 901 to try and reduce power consumption, and since I'm always on a wireless network, I thought it may be a good idea to disable the wired network in the BIOS - it probably won't save much power, but every little helps!

Anyway, immediately after doing this I noticed the system was very slow - turns out that "dd" is consuming huge amounts of CPU - when I kill this, "klogd" goes beserk too.  Killing that seems to calm things down.

Does anybody have an idea what it's doing?  Any safe way of doing this?  Or should I give up, on the basis that the network adaptor probably consumes next-to-nothing when it's not connected anyway?