Re: [Question #45295]: No mail client on Ubuntu eee 8.04.1

Max Barry proposed the following answer:
Sharon, I think this will fix the repository issue:

http://www.ubuntu-
eee.com/index.php5?title=Fix_the_problem_with_upgrading_and_installing_software_in_Ubuntu_Eee_8.04.1

i.e.:
sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/*
sudo rm -R /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/*

If that doesn't work, then from your message above I wonder if your
'partial' directory got deleted somehow. You could try recreating it
with "sudo mkdir /var/lib/apt/lists/partial".