[Question #45743]: Skype not starting up

Surely with a clean live install of 8.04.1 (ie running Ubuntu from the SD card, not installing to the hard disk) everything should all be working on my eee 4G 701. But it isn't.

For starters during the (4 minute) boot process the Crash detector tells me it has detected a crash - but won't tell me anything more about it.

Then... Doing NOTHING but running Skype... The launch icon fires up, Skype appears to load, but nothing appears on screen. From a terminal I can see Skype is running (top shows it is consuming considerable resources), but no sign of it on the desktop, which makes it pretty unusable. I can kill the process from the terminal, but that's not much consolation... This is not a goog start. Any advice?