Re: [Question #46001]: p4_clockmod making 900 unusable on battery power

Johan Frank gave more information on the question:
Did some further digging testing on this one:

- Setting min freq to 400mhz helps with the sluggishness, but still not really able to determine whether having p4_clockmod actually improves the battery life or makes the eee run less hot. Found some interesting if inconclusive discussion here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-meta/+bug/177646
Wikipedia also suggests that there are celeron-m models which support speedstep, but states that  the ones in the eeepc are among those who do not.

- powernowd doesn't seem to be running (no such process),
/etc/init.d/powernowd just seems to mess with the kernel modules when I
run it. Doing init.d/powernowd stop changes the scaling governor etc,
but I still get the 30 second glitch on music/video playback.

- If I kill off hald (or run init.d/hal stop) the problem goes away
completely, regardless of p4_clockmod and the scaling settings. In fact
it seems the skipping is related to the polling of battery status,
because I am able to reproduce it at will simply by doing: cat
/proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/info

- I also noticed that /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/info doesn't change when I
switch from the asus default battery to a 3rd party 6 cell. It shows
4400 mAh for both batteries (and the rest is also the same).