Re: [Question #46970]: have to sudo to ping?

Karunesh Johri proposed the following answer:
On my machine, I checked the directory of ping

$ which ping
/bin/ping
$ ls -ls /bin/ping
36 -rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 33168 2007-12-11 00:33 /bin/ping

The set-user-ID on execution bit is set. That is, when a user executes
ping, he or she executes as its owner (root). You can locate the ping
file, go to that directory and give the command,

sudo chmod u+s ping

Karunesh