[Question #47499]: How can I play *.mkv videos?

I have just installed an ubuntu (eee) 8.04 hardy to my eeepc 900.  I cannot play *.mkv files with mplayer because of lack of codecs, which cannot be solved by update.  Then I tried VLC and Xgine, both ones just can play sounds but failed to display images.  How can I solve this problem?  Thank you so much!  I love the eee and ubuntu.