[Question #47617]: problem installing ubuntu-eee on vm

Summary changed to:
problem installing ubuntu-eee on vm

Description changed to:
Hi !

I tried to install ubuntu-eee inside virtual-box (so I can make a spin
before putting it on my laptop).

When the vm is powered, the graphical menu pops up, and I choose to install ubuntu.
Then the progress bar shows up for a few seconds and a console on initramfs pops up, and obviously the entire installation progress fails.
If I remove quiet and splash from the boot options I see the boot sequence and it shows the following, before it aborts:

hda: max request size: 128 KiB
hda: 16777216 sectors (8589 MB) w/256KiB Cache, CHS=16644/16/63
hda: cache flushes supported
 hda: unknown partition table
end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0

And continuously loops on the end_request line.
I don't have a floppy drive here, but if I setup a virtual floppy drive and allow the vm to access it, the the end_request line never shows up and the boot sequence simply stalls.

If I use an already partitioned image (7gb ext3,1gb swap) I did with an
older live cd then I get a new set of messages:

hda: max request size: 128 KiB
hda: 16777216 sectors (8589 MB) w/256KiB Cache, CHS=16644/16/63
hda: cache flushes supported
 hda: hda1 hda2
kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode
kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode
kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode
(...)

and then it loops over those two lines.

In all cases, the boot sequence simply aborts and shows me a console on
initramfs, therefore I can't install it!