[Question #47754]: GRUB error 21 - how to get rid of this?

Description changed to:
I have an Eee PC 1000 Linux.

I installed Ubuntu Eee from the live CD to a USB stick:

- To boot to the live CD I entered the Eee PC BIOS and changed boot
priority to removable drive.

- During installation I selected ONLY the USB stick.

- The installer did NOT indicate that GRUB would be installed to the
main system drive!

I had thought that booting into Ubuntu after installation would be as
simple as inserting the USB drive and letting the BIOS boot from it
before the hard drive.

But now when I start the Eee PC without the USB stick the GRUB loader,
which is on the main system drive, gives 'error 21' and can go no
further.

So I can't start the Eee PC at all without the USB stick attached.

I looked in /boot/grub/ but can't find any reference to Ubuntu - it
seems to be simply the normal Xandros loader.

*The installation of GRUB on the system drive should be made clear to
the user during installation of Ubuntu Eee!*

How can I get rid of GRUB, please?