[Question #47823]: Using KPPP with Sprint Sierra compass 597 on Ubuntu eee

I have an eee pc 8g, with Ubuntu 8.4.1 eeepc version installed. I am trying to install a Sierra Compass 597 mobile broadband modem, for use on the Sprint network. I'm running into problems.

I followed the directions found at http://www4.sprint.com/pcsbusiness/downloads/Sprint_Mobile_Broadband_Setup_Guide.pdf, which had me install and use KPPP. Everything seemed to be working fine--the program was recognizing the modem, etc. However, when I tried to connect, right at the tail end of the connection process, I received this error message:

pppd daemon died unexpectedly!
Exit Status: 2
See 'man pppd' for an explanation of the error codes or take a look at the kpppd FAQ on http://developer.kde.org/~kppp/index.html

In the ppp log, it says, "pppd[8019]: Can't open option file /etc/ppp/peers/kppp-options: Permission denied."

I have already activated this modem on my Windows laptop, and it's working fine there.

I tried the suggestion under the FAQ (under the link above) for "Dial-up failures with exit code 2," and got this message: cp: cannot stat '/etc/ppp/peers/ppp': No such file or directory