[Question #47989]: Volume control and video not working

Why do I keep getting seduced by new, supposedly "better" interfaces for my eeepc? Was pretty happy with my Full Desktop, downgraded Mplayer set up but ubuntu-eee caught my eye and now I have a machine which (for starters - there may be more issues I haven't discovered yet) has no volume control (neither the Fn keys or the applet seem to work) and which won't play embedded video on sites I visit frequently such as onegoodmove.org  ... Can I have my old setup back please, or does anyone have any ideas out there which don't require more hit and miss Console fiddling...? I'd really, really like to like Linux, but things like this ubuntu-eee experience put me off enormously. By my friends' standards, I'm a "geek" but this is just too much. I don't mind, in fact I'm quite curious and intrigued by some technical hands-on stuff, and I quite enjoyed downloading the iso and transferring it to USB etc.. But if only it would WORK!!!