[Question #48697]: Volume permissions problems after Ubuntu eee installation

Drive permissions problems after Ubuntu eee installationI installed Ubuntu eee on my 900 and have been running it successfully. In the process, I've ended up with two extra /dev/sdb partitions, /sdb1 with around 2.1GB available, and /sdb2 /sdb5 - /sdb6 with around 13.4GB.

Ideally, I'd prefer a different partition arrangement, but I can live with this. However, I find I can't access either partition for saving files. I get a permissions warning on the sdb2-6 partition, and no access at all on the /sdb1 partition - I don't even get a cut/paste or create folder option in the menus. This IS with the partitions mounted, btw.

Does anyone know how I can fix this?

This is the second time I installed Ubuntu eee - the first time I inadvertently ended up with the original Asus OS still on my machine. The second time seems to have resulted in a double install of Ubuntu eee, but I reformatted the sdb partitions, and seem to have erased the duplicate OS files.

Here's what I found in /etc/fstab with a text editor:

#
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
# /dev/sda1
UUID=76fd1844-92b1-4115-9763-031f110b9fb9 /               ext3    relatime,errors=remount-ro 0       1
# /dev/sda5
UUID=2704edcb-f153-4cde-87f8-b2ed75267f71 none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/sdc1       /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0

Please note that I am a complete Linux newbie: I *will* need to be told each individual keystroke.

Thanks!