Re: [Question #47989]: Volume control and video not working

Question #47989 on Ubuntu Eee changed:
https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu-eee/+question/47989

Dennis McGuire gave more information on the question:
Hi Philipp, thanks for your offer of help... but before I possibly waste your time, I should say I have gone back to the Advanced Desktop interface as this does most of what I need well - there are still some video issues that I had sorted last time I was using it by downgrading mPlayer, but that doesn't seem to have  worked this time...
Coming back to the Ubuntu-eee install, I liked the look of it for sure, but the volume seemed to be fixed and no amount of fiddling with either the function keys or the sound applet would change it. On Skype, the webcam would not work and on a favourite site of mine http://onegoodmove.org/1gm/ some (but not all) of the embedded video would not work (the ones requiring Quicktime plugin I think). This was the problem I fixed with my old setup last time by downgrading mPlayer to get access to the required codecs (as I understand it). With U-eee, I tried installing VLC, which worked as a standalone, but I couldn't see how to get a plugin for it working with Firefox.

I should have mentioned at the outset that my unit is a 701 4G, bought
in Thailand about a year ago but not modified in any way...

Thank you again.