[Question #49038]: Cannot Login - Ubuntu sessions end after 10 seconds

I just installed Ubuntu Eee, default everything except No Localization and No Swap partition, onto my Eee 2GB Surf.  Install went find, but after restart, when I try to login I get the error "Your session only lasted less than 10 seconds.  If you have not logged out yourself, this could mean that there is some installation problem or that you may be out of diskspace.  Try logging in with one of the failsafe sessions to see if you can fix the problem."

The web site says that 8.04.1 is supposed to work fine with 2GB surf, so I don't know what I'm doing here or what the problem might be.  Any help appreciated.