Re: [Question #49401]: Wifi not working after upgrade

Ursus88 requested for more information:
Hi surfed,

First, thank you very much for the response.  I sincerely apologise, but
I don't quite know what you mean ... in either sentence.  I don't have
my daughter's laptop with me at the moment, but I'll look at it this
evening.  Would you be so kind as to explain what you mean by "dmesg"?
I will do some searches to try to better understand what you are looking
for.  Also, I'm not sure what "wicd" is.  I have opened network-manager
(if I recall correctly) and my wireless network doesn't appear.  Perhaps
wicd is another app for network connectivity?  Again, sorry for being
such a newb.  I will do some research today and see what I can find
regarding those keywords.  (If you haven't guessed by now, I'm very new
to Linux.  "Buy a laptop with Linux," my wife says.  "We can fix
whatever problems we encounter."  Like she has an all-knowing Linux
mouse in her pocket or something.  <smile>)

So far, even WITH the few problems I've encountered, Ubuntu eee is
WORLDS better than the Xandros distro that came on the 901 eee.  The
file manager app disappearing on BOTH my son's laptop AND my daughter's
laptop was the final straw.  I just couldn't take it any more, ya' know?
Anyway, it seems that maybe some of the hardware drivers for Ubuntu are
missing?  A total guess.  Here's what I've done so far (in case any of
this helps; probably WAY more than what you wanted to know):

* Created the USB install using Unetbootin (no major issues here, though
I admit that I didn't do any checksum test for the image; I know ... BAD
newbie).

* Installed Ubuntu on the 901.  (Just FYI, I was really hesitant about
doing this because the "live USB" image didn't allow for network
connectivity; against my better judgement I installed anyway ... yes,
Xandros was that bad <smile>).

* During the install, I performed a manual partition.  I have no idea if
I did this correctly.  I deleted all of the partitions (except for the
thumb drive, of course).  I then made the 4Gig SSD root (/) and also
created a second partition with about 495 Meg for swap (following some
general rule I read about in having 1/2 the memory for swap; the device
has 1 Gig for memory).  It seems to have worked, but perhaps I
overcrowded it by having the swap in the same SSD as the OS?  Please let
me know if I botched this and I can try to edit the partition or
reinstall the whole thing again if perhaps I overwrote some key
components.  I put /home on the 16 Gig SSD.  The partitioning piece was
by far the hardest part of the install to understand.  I did put an 8
Gig memory card into the memory card slot too ... I'd be happy to
configure swap there, I guess, if necessary, and always make sure to
have a memory card installed.  I just don't know what the best
configuration is and am open to any suggestions.

* As I sort of expected (though hoped beyond hope that I'd be wrong),
the wifi didn't work.

* I plugged in an Ethernet cable, connected to the network, and updated
the repos on the system (sudo apt-get update; seemed to work well ... at
least I didn't get any errors [a first for me and repos ... so I was
ecstatic]).

* I tested most of the [necessary] apps on the system and most of them
seem to work (with the exception of anything that requires network
connectivity [which, of course, don't work if I'm not physically plugged
in] or uses the built-in camera; not that you care, but my daughter is
dyslexic ... spell check is a must for her and didn't work with
StarOffice 8 [the Xandros doc app]; OpenOffice works great ... another
minor success ... getting the dictionary function to work would be great
too ... but it requires connectivity [works fine when physically
connected]).

In doing some more net searching, I see that some people have somehow
rebuilt their eee kernel.  I was going to try that, but it mentions it's
for repairing 8.04 specifically and not 8.04.1, so I don't know if I
should be attempting this or not.

Again, thank you very much for any assistance.  I'm sorry for the long
message but I hope the detail helps in some way.