[Question #49860]: root password: default?!

I have several avi's on a SD-card. After installing Ubuntu-eee they can't be opened as the system returns the message that the disc can't be mounted. Apparantly I have to be su with password. But I never gave in any password connected to a root or superuser.

A few minutes ago I changed the superuser password into the samen I use for the (only) user. That seems to work. But changing users only gives me a blank desktop with no applications visible.

How do I access the sd-disc? Can I startup without using passwords? I have automated logging in as user but still the system asks for a password unlocking keyrings.

Working on a 900-series Eeepc, with Ubuntu EEE 8.04.1.