[Question #52925]: eee 701 wireless not connecting after recent update (intrepid)

I did a clean install of 8.10 and (after a search and some tweaking) managed to get the wireless working. It connected to my wireless network and also my brother's - all OK.
I ran update manager last night and installed the latest updates. When I turned the Eee on this morning it didn't automatically connect.
The wireless info is there if I go into 'edit connections' and the driver is active but it won't connect. There is also no option to see wireless networks if I click on the icon. I am using my 3 modem at the moment and that is working fine.