[Question #55936]: screen paintings after upgrade - ubuntu eee

Got new Asus Eee machine 1000, decided to install Ubuntu instead of standard installed Linux software.  Once installed, checked for updates.  It stated that I had 170+ upgrades available, but only a partial install would be performed as all were not compatible with the Eee machines.  Moved forward with updates.  However, now ALL screens paint and do not display fully.  I am also not able to change desktop display or colors.  Please help!!  I really didn't want to install Windows.